Matthias Pfafferodt <matthias.pfaffer...@mapfa.de> writes:

> [...]
>> > city_radius_sq = 5 => city_radius = 2
>> > mgr_dist = 2
>> > max distance for migration (tiles) = 2 + 2 =4
>> >
>> > city_radius_sq = 10 => city_radius = 3(.1) = 3
>> > mgr_dist = 2
>> > max distance for migration (tiles) = 3 + 2 =5
>>
>> Yes, that is along the lines of my though.
>
> a new patch is available implementing radius_sq and this definition of the
> migration distance
>

>> Defining max distance for migration (tiles) = radius1 + radius2 + X
>> would make things more difficult I guess. radius2 won't be known so
>> you would have to assume the maximum, scan for cities and then check
>> if their radius is big enough for migration.
>>
>> But just radius1 + X should be easy to code.
>>
> [...]
>> Actualy I thing something like that is already needed. The road/rail
>> building AI currently has no notion of connecting cities, only
>> adjacent tiles. With city_min_dist raised that performes really bad.
>> If a city knew the surrounding cities the auto-worker could build a
>> road on a line between two cities.
>>
>> But a lot of AI code needs a fresh look and redesign I feel.
>
> This is known but nobody takes this job. I still have one thing open:  bug
> #13599  [RFC; patch] pollution on lakes / ocean
> (https://gna.org/bugs/?13599). But it is really hard to understand the ai
> code ...

>> > That's right. Migration is checked every fifth turn after a city was
>> > founded (default settings).
>> >
>> > Does the variable city radii work for you?
>>
>> Seems to work great so far. I'm not sure the plague settings are fine
>> tuned yet though. I have a large food box and cities always get plague
>> before hitting size 12 an requiring a Sewer System. The plague
>> effectively obsoletes the size 12 limit except when migration happens
>> a lot and the city shoots up. Not sure if that should be that way.
>>
>> My biggest city is size 17 so far. I will have to see if the plague
>> allows the city to grow to size 30 at all.
>
> Did you try the experimental ruleset? There, some buildings with a 'health'
> effect are added. This means, that the possibility of an illness is reduced.
> Furthermore you could check the corresponding wiki page
> (http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Math_of_Freeciv).
>
> Matthias

Hospital, genlab and cure for cancer help a lot. Biggest city is now
size 54. 270+ production in that city. I didn't merge changing unit
upkeep from shield to gold in my ruleset. I have tons of shield but
never enough gold.

Given the amount of pollution, even with recycling I will have to
destroy the Hover Dam and build solar plants instead.

MfG
        Goswin