Dennis,

>>> Do a ping, whois, traceroute, or nslookup on it.   Tell me what
>>> you get.
>>
>> Wish I could, but I have none of those on my system ...
>
> They are highly useful tools, and available online as well in
> addition to being local commands.   What do you use as a browser,
> and how do you reach the Internet?

Opera V7,5, last one that works with Win/NT, and Earthlink dial-up.

>> I DETEST the Internet -- I remember when it was totally free, and
>> absolutely NOT as "commercial" as it is now!   DISGUSTING, to me,
>> that almost all "news" URLs now force you to receive 500K or more
>> of damned ADVERTISEMENTS, BEFORE you get one word of "news"! ...
>
> You need to learn more about the Internet.  For instance, blocking
> those 500K or more of ads is trivial ...

Not-interested.   As I said, I DETEST the Internet!   Easier for me,
if I really want such "news", to log-on at a different site, such as
Wikipedia.   They are still "clean", and not "money-grubbers" like a
LOT of URLs prove to be.

> And sorry, but *something* has to pay for those "free" services that
> cost actual time and money to provide, and ads are what pay for them.

My regret is that the Internet was once "free".   Now it only offers
MORE damned ads than U.S. Television!   Ads may be required, but NOT
to the extent that they are now "Pushed down our THROATS!" on T.V or
on the Internet.   I do not watch television any more, and I do not
use the Internet very much.   And I "miss" NEITHER of them!

>> ... Perhaps your "leg" [of the Internet] does not handle websites
>> in Bulgaria the same as mine does.
>
> My leg doesn't like it at all.  I get nowhere trying to reach the
> underlying IP address instead of relying on DNS resolution, and the
> underlying IP address *should* work.

Well, good luck to you in resolving this ... I DETEST the Internet!

>> I remain UNCONVINCED that the above site, or any others with that
>> same release of V7.10 MS-DOS, is in fact illegal.
>
> If Microsoft has not formally released MS-DOS 7.10 as a freely
> available download, it's *not* legal under US law, which is what we're
> concerned with.  Countries in the former Soviet Union have
> historically not cared about US law in this sort of case, so it's
> probably legal for the Bulgarian site to host the download under
> Bulgarian law.  It's *not* legal to download and use it under US law

If that were so, why can I access such a website from the U.S.??

> There's a lot of "abandonware" out there that is no longer
> sold/supported but never explicitly cut loose by the vendors, and
> sites that specialize in it.  The legal status is at best murky.

Much "abandonware" had good reason to be abandoned, e.g. MS-DOS
EMM386, whose never-corrected 23-year-old ERRORS are well-known
to a driver writer like me, since I must AVOID them or watch my
drivers FAIL!   MS-DOS HIMEM, too.   Sure happy they did not go
and "mess up" UltraDMA in DOS, as well!

> Whether a vendor will take action will be governed by money ...
> ... And taking action against a site in someplace like Russia or
> Bulgaria will be much more time consuming and expensive.  You can't
> just send a DMCA "cease-and-desist" order, because those countries
> aren't subject to US laws about such things.

"DO tell!", my friend.   Not all of us were born yesterday, you know.

> MS is likely not aware of the MS-DOS 7.10 distribution from the
> Bulgarian host, and probably won't care enough to take action if they
> are.   It's not like they are losing sales.  But "They don't care"
> isn't the same thing as "It's legal."

I would bet they DO know, and as you indicate, I'll bet they will not
take any action.   But for a larger reason -- In their minds, "DOS is
dead"!

> Yes, it's a technical distinction, but an important one.  "Legal"
> means "In compliance with applicable laws."  Unless the vendor has
> formally released software they no longer sell or support as freeware,
> usable at your own risk, the software, while available, is not
> technically legal.

As I said, I will not argue the legalities, since you indicate that
they are "murky" at best when applied to "abandonware" like MS-DOS.
I only wanted to give an example of V7.10 MS-DOS still being avail-
able for use.   Further debate about its availability being "legal"
does not interest me and should not be of interest to others.   If,
in fact, they like V7.10 MS-DOS, they will use it.    If not, they
will use something else, like I use V6.22 MS-DOS.    End of story.

Jack R. Ellis