On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 21:37:02 +0100, TJ Edmister <damag...@hyakushiki.net>
wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:47:05 -0500, Jack <gykazequ...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>> Opera V7,5, last one that works with Win/NT, and Earthlink dial-up.
>
> Opera 9.25 can work in NT4, I use it all the time. Browsing with
> javascript disabled prevents most ads from loading.

The change log for 11.00 beta lists "Opera not working with Windows NT4
SP6a" as one of the issues fixed since 10.63, the previous version. So
even later versions might run.

But, Jack, you might not want to upgrade from 7.5 straight to 11.00 or
newer because it might not preserve your settings, bookmarks, etc. When I
upgraded from 9.21 to 12.x, I had to hop through many versions so
everything would get preserved (9.50, 9.64, 10.00, 10.60, 11.11, 11.60 -
but I use Windows XP). I used a virtual machine to do those experiments. I
recommend upgrading at most one major version at a time.

I hope you can get 10.00 or newer to run as those versions have a feature
called "Opera Turbo" which sends pages through Opera's servers to compress
them before you receive them (HTTPS pages are still only between the
server and you, so it's secure), which you might find useful.

Anyway, Opera has had a content filter at least since the 9.x versions and
probably before. You can configure it to block content from URLs matching
certain specifications (using wildcards). I have created a list which
effectively blocks many ads.

Good luck!

Matej Horvat
http://matejhorvat.si/

PS: Not everyone has a bloated, ad-infested Web site!