wow Anouk the merchant?

That is a gouge fest, I can see why your progressing slowly if that is the case, (the merchant is a necessity on hard mode but if your using villagers there is no problem). What you need to do is build all the structures to concentrate on resources, including 20 huts for the max 80 population, supplimenting what your villaggers find for you with what you can gather from caves, towns and the city, that's the fun thing about A dark room, discovering new places to go on the map and new things to build while your villagers have at it. Follow the compass and it will point you to the places you need to go to finish the game.

The game will progress when you have discovered all resources and built all the buildings, I'd also definitely recommend exploring as much as possible sinse that is the way to learn all about the game's world and setting, including just who your protagonist is.

All the best,