I think the level up punch is supposed to mitigate the games difficulty somewhat, indeed if you start a game it's better to play until you die for that reason.

just because The Ensign doesn't have the resource management, that doesn't mean you can run through the game just visiting the notable places, indeed you need to visit caves regularly for your improved weapons.

I will admit I've not got as far in The Ensign as I would like, indeed a couple of resources I've not yet found a use for, sinse there is one bit where thus far I've always died which i'm not sure how to escape, but annoyingly it's about half an hour into the game.

If I can't work out how to pass that particular section, or at least what stratogy to use to avoid it I might end up having to e-mail the developer, but I don't think I'm out of ideas yet.

All the best,