Hi Bryan,
Exactly. Murder isn't the word for it. One reason RPG games etc haven't
been too popular by the audio game developers is they just want to get a
game written and out to the customers in a timely fassion.
Imagine if it took me three or four years to write my Zelda clone. How
many side-scrollers, board games, or even FPS games could I produce in
the same length of time? Well, if the answer is three or so I would feel
that my time wasn't well spent. The pay out for the Zelda game wouldn't
likely be the cash value of those three other games I could have made.