Wow, I didn't have a slightest clue that there were so many cross-platform engines out there. This is what results from ignorance and lack of interest or research. :-D But yeah, I see, it has more cons than pros for your purpose, so self-voicing is really gonna be a better choice. Not too many gamers would probably buy a voice along with the game itself. :-)
Lukas
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Cross Platform Speech Support

Hi Lukas,
Well, yes and no.  There are cross platform text to speech engines for
Mac, Linux, and Windows but they aren't necessarily ideal for accessible
gaming.  The ESpeak TTS Engine is cross platform, free, works well, but
it sounds too robotic for mine. The Cepstral Swift engine is cross
platform, most voices sound alright,  but then we are talking a
distribution license or ask everyone to buy one of the Cepstral voices
independantly to play my games. The Dectalk Access software is cross
platform, but has the same  hang up as the Cepstral voices. Diddo for
the AT&T Voices and Eloquence.

Lukás Hosnedl wrote:
I see, I know this fact very well myself, first from other self-voicing games and second from a project I am working on myself (that's still only in czech though). But I still like this method of reading messages to the player more than using SAPI voices. But that's probably because the czech ones aren't very nice yet. Other than that, SAPI has great advantages of the game becoming much smaller in size, you can create more flexible messages or even include player names in the score recordings, etc., and it's not very difficult to code. But you are right that one must forget SAPI when they want to make their games cross-platform portable, as there is not a similar speech engine that would work on all three systems: Windows, Linux and Mac, currently. Am I right? This is how I understand it from your posts, as I've never researched the possibilities of the other two systems in this regard. But it's cool to hear about SDL as a working solution.
Lukas