Hi Tom,

This is all great stuff for me to be reading, I'm learning a lot.  If
you have the time and it's not too involved, would you mind going into
a bit more detail about the best workaround you've found so far to
cope with the weird panning system of SDL?  My initial idea for a
workaround was to get a feel for how quickly a sound can be panned to
the position I'd want it to be in the stereo field after it's been
triggered in the center, then add a bit of silence to the beginning of
the sound so in effect SDL has still triggered a file but the user
wouldn't notice the panning adjustment because they wouldn't hear
silence being panned.  It'd work for environment/atmospheric sounds,
but wouldn't be much use for sounds that were triggered by a specific
event or key press to perform an action like pressing a switch, plus
I'm sure there's a more eligant way of doing it.

I ask because in my blind man on a mission simulation thing for uni, I
plan to start by walking down a fairly deserted road.  There will be a
mobility instructor a short distance away coaching you through the
first part giving helpful little hints such as "ok, keep going over
this crossing", "you can ignore that to your right it's just a side
road" or "woah! head left and get yourself back on the pavement" if
the player strays into the road itself.  There will be a few obsticles
scattered which my cane will touch and the user will have the time
between the cane hitting it and my next foot fall to tap the opposite
directional key to avoid ploughing into it.  If they're quick to tap
the correct direction the blind man avoids the obsticle, slower on the
uptake and he'd brush past it but not cause any real harm, and
creating the sounds for what happens if he ends up walking into them
will be great fun hehe.  Simple enough and overdone for us, probably
trickier for a sighted person who's not as used to reacting that
quickly to hearing alone, so I thought it'd be a good way to start the
mission off.  It all seems simple enough to code in theory for a
newbie like me, but the SDL panning system sounds like it'd put a real
dampener on the idea of it being fast responsive gameplay, especially
in a quiet basic environment.

I'd be grateful for your take on it...
Scott