Hi Scott,
I can say from personal experience Wine is more trouble than it is worth.
For one thing to get Wine to run anything decently you need to install a load of Windows dll files from the Windows System 32 directory. Problem is Microsoft has all kinds of legal restrictions on what you share, how you share it, etc and I can't simply put up a patched Wine for Mac and Linux with all the Windows dll files installed. It is skating on thin ice legally. Even then running programs, especially games, can be a serious pain to get working properly under Wine. As a Linux user I've installed Wine and tried getting various accessible games running under Wine. I have gotten some of the games to work under Wine, but getting them working at all was not exactly easy. So it is not a simple 1, 2, 3 process. Plus when I got them running things ran slowly or not correctly. Finally, even though Mac comes with Mono, a close cousin to the .NET Framework, if we are using Wine then you have to .NET enable your Wine install, put on DirectX, etc. So when you come down to it getting a game to run under Mac or Linux using Wine is a fairly involved and extensive process. I can't in good faith ask any user of my game to do that. That is why most Mac users just install Windows side by side with Mac OS instead of using Wine. What I eventually hope to do is natively support Mac OS, or be able to use some cross platform API like Mono or Python to run my games.

Scott Chesworth wrote:
Tom,

Just been googling more, been using this as an excuse to avoid doing
any real work so thanks hehe.  All I'm turning up is the various
solutions for running Windows on a mac, which is of course no use to
you.  Crossover games looked like it maybe had some potential, but
it's a comercial product and going on what I've heard about the rest
of the crossover products I doubt it's accessible.  The Wine and
Darwine projects might be worth reading up on, it's an open source
solution, you could maybe offer a download to a precompiled version
with any tweaks necessary to run your stuff to make it a little more
eligant and a little less hassle for the gamers.  If it's an easy
install for them, it's no different from having to have .net framework
or whatever.  DirectX support is there in both of these, some good
some bad reports, mostly the bad ones I just skimmed through seem to
be based around graphics performance.  Of course, people saying sound
support is ok is one thing, but most of the time the people saying
that aren't relying on good sound performance to play a game like we
do.  In any case, if you get a spare few mins, google for darwine
project and wine project and have a read... there might be something
usable for you.

Re your startrek game listing DirectX on the specs, I have a theory.
If my memory isn't failing (this happens, a lot lol) I seem to recall
Microsoft putting out DirectX support for OS9.  In the beginning of OS
X loads of popular stuff like this was either hurredly ported over or
tweaked to run in classic mode, I reckon that's why you're reading
what you're reading on that game box.  Classic mode is dead and buried
now as far as I know, along with the directX support as far as I can
tell.

hmmm, sorry I can't help more.  If crossover games wine or darwine
looks like it might move things along for you in any way though, give
me a shout if you want me to install and test a few existing titles on
the macbook.

Scott