It's a matter of what type of game is being made.  If we're talking
fast arcade action, I'd think that most challenge should come from
clever level design rather than the player remembering to change some
setting or other.  The original alchemy monty (when it wasn't
crashing) ran at a much faster pace than anything I've seen from
Thomas Ward.  You guys are talking about a slower fps game.  Though
you mentioned this was based off of Tomb Raidor, I guess I'm still
clinging onto the idea of an arcade-style platformer.  It has nothing
to do wtih mainstream or blindnessss - plenty of games have players
pick up items by stepping on them - doom and metal slug (pretty sure
about the second one anyway) are two examples.  It sounds like you're
looking to keep up with modern trends towards realism in games.
That's obviously a whole other can of worms, which I might break open
in a fresh new thread.  In the mean time, if the game's fun I won't
complain.  I don't care if a game complies to standards set by our
mainstream peers - for me to like it it has to be fun.  Just to make
it clear: I'm just saying that I have a different preference when it
comes to 2d games (like the o/g monty).  I'm a big fan of FPS', and
that sounds more like your cup of tea tom as it allows for more
realism without sacrificing fun, so I can't wait to see what you come
up with in that area.