this is precisely why we need complexity. nothing more fun like chasing a monster around and having to pick up an item while trying to escape. when you play games for the sighted, the player doesn't pick stuff up by stepping on them, or automatically holsters weapon. you need to do all this stuff manually.

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Dietz" <james.j.di...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] about torches - Re: mota demo

Guys,

Having a torch which is constantly running out would give the game a
sense of urgency - especially if most of the rooms are dark as Tom
says.  Besides... when would you really think to blow out your torch?
In my opinion, this is just another feature the game doesn't need to
be fun (I guess I'm going to have to agree to disagree with Tom about
enter-to-pick-up-stuff).  Too many keys and featuresto remember result
in a less fluid and enjoyable experience.  Remember the player is
going to be jumping around, killing monsters and scooping treasure.
Are they going to take the time out to remember to blow out their
torch (or hit enter to pick up an item, holster their weapon to jump
over a pit)?  Keeping track of such boring figures isn't exciting,
it's tedius.  The realism (or ... unrealism for this feature I
suppose) argument doesn't fly with me.

James