Hi,

You said:

the
Manuals are written by people who know what they're talking about for
those that
don't.  Think writing one is easy?  Give it a try.  In your spare time,
write the user's manual for something you have in your house, such as a
home
stereo, CD player, or even, yes, a computer game.  Don't leave anything
out,
but make your manual understandable by someone who does not know the
device
or product you are talking about.  Be patient with the user and go
slowly in
describing.  Here's one for you, write a user's manual for a cell phone
that
can guide a blind person through it's operations easily and in a way
that
will not confuse them?  I dare you.  If you try this, you'll be able to
see
the problem from both sides of the issue.  Remember, the reader does not

know anything about what you're trying to teach them how to use.

I did. I'm talking from experience. I spent 3 months re-writing the jaws
4 manual. Because the guy who I was teaching to use it actually couldn't
get to grips with it. So I rerote it and went so far back to basics it
would bore the likes of you and me but for someone like him it was
necessary. I didn't do it alone. Assisting me I had people who new about
the programme, people that taught others how to use it, people who have
herd of it but have never seen it or used it. It's foolish to believe
that even though I'm the one writing the manual, that I'm going to have
a 100% perspective as to what needed to be done. Thus I chose to do it
in the way that I did. I was doing all the work, I was sending them via
email all their submissions and based on their feedback I would make
changes. Or explain why I had written a given thing and accept or reject
any advice they gave me. So I'm sorry Charles but yes I will say that a
lot of problems that people have, is because of the way that the manuals
are written. It's very difficult to go right back to basics and not many
people see the benefits of that. The vast majority of manuals I look at
now I'm so critical of them you honestly wouldn't believe it. Some of
them I can honestly say have left me cringing. Because if the manual is
thus badly written what does that say for the product itself? All that
time and energy gone into developing that product for it to be let down
by it's user documentation. The long and the short of it is, it's all
well making sure that your product works, but if you aren't going to
spend the time required on the nuts and bolts as in the user
documentation, then you may as well not bother at all.

If people cannot just pick up and get to grips with something, then a
lot of the time they will just put it down again. Because half the
problem there is a psycological one. Oh it's me that is stupid I can't
understand this bla bla bla. This is where a lot of your fobias actualy
come from. And the tech support lines are loving it because you're
calling them, being charge a stupendus amount for the privelage just to
solve a problem that could have been easily solved in most cases if the
manual was written in a way that it was understood by who ever read it
no matter from what background.

You said:
User's manuals are often blamed for some of the problems that people are

having.  Then again, it is found that people often don't read them.

This is in part true. But also it is true to say that considering how in
the majority of cases, manuals are written in such a poor fassion,
people just don't seem to waste their time on them any more. Just how
much is released these days that is just so full of bugs and stupid
stuff like that? Not enough time is spent on development of a product
and the user documentation is just as much a pert of that development.
The quality of work in many ways has slowly and surely gone down hill
over the last few years in general.

[...]

---
Gun control only controls the guns of lawful citizens while placing them
in
control of the unlawful ones.