As someone who went blind later in life I totally agree. it is very hard to try and learn all there is with screenreaders, braille displays. even more so because to us who had to deal with all this new stuff later in life is like learning to read and write all over. there are also a lot of sighted people who are not that knowledgeable about computers or technical stuff in general. so be patient with the ones just learning. if a mail seems annoying just try and ignore it and move on to the next one. i got helped on here and other lists many times and appreciate everyone that did help, even if it was a question asked for the umpteenth time. if new inexperienced folks get flamed than that might discourage them from playing great audiogames altogether and that would be a shame.
regards
chrissy

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] I give!!!!

Hello Shadow Dragon,
While I certainly understand your position, your frustration, etc I think it is better in the long run if we try to help Anthony rather than attacking him. In my conversations with Anthony on and off list I discovered we are dealing with someone who isn't a very skilled computer user to begin with. Just a few days ago Anthony had a problem selecting items using the combo box on the audiogames.net web site. After talking with him off list I discovered he wasn't aware he needed to press enter on the combo box to get Window Eyes to disable MSAA/forms mode so he can use the combo box on a web page. To some that sounds like a very stupid mistake, some might think of Anthony as an idiot, but he simply has not had the same level of training that some of us had. Therefore we have to walk him through this not assuming anything, taking anything for granted, and when giving instructions give him detailed instructions to him as a totally new user to the computer. Let's put it this way. If you knew someone recently whent blind, gave him/her a new computer with a screen reader on it, would you expect him or her to know how to use the screen reader, browse the web, install games, whatever the first day? Probably not. I know I certainly didn't learn all I know over night. I did however work hard to learn all I could about computers, and years later I am very skilled at using them.