Hi.

I must admit, I do see your point about characters wearing and using different items, ---- as a pretty heavy going single player bod I probably didn't think of that. Actually I wouldn't say I either love or hate KoL, ---- it's really an in betwene thing.

It's almost the case that I see it's clear advantages, but then do not find enough substance in the plot and game world to keep me going, ---- and yet in a sense i stil regret not persisting with the game more.

On the puzles front, this is why I admire systems like the invisiclues of the old Infocom games, ---- systems which can just give you greater and greater nudges until you get something. This stil gives you some sense of discovery and satisfaction, but doesn't get you frustrated.

I've actually seen my Gm in mutants and monsterminds pulling similar stunts through npcs when we've all been stuck on an in gamemystery.

I'd say my favourite sorts of puzles are those found in games like Sryth or gamebooks. Puzles where rather than guessing an obscure reference or odd syntacs, if you pay attention to the story and world, talk to every npc, visit every location and occasionally put two and two together, you will find the answer.

A great example of this sort of puzle occurs in the Snes rpg Secret of mana.

About a quarter of the way through the game, you visit the desert town of Cakariko. They have no water. This is initially thought to be a problem with the fire elemental living close by, ---- but after you fix that (something which has to be done to progress in the game), they stil don't have their water back.

Much much muuuuuuch later on, when you can fly around the world, you can speak to an npc living in a lighthouse, one of the things he will tell you is water is attracted to a sea hair's tale.

A litle later, you can visit an island wear a sea hair's tale is being sold (admittedly for quite a lot of cash, though by that stage in the game you usually have money to spend0.

If you buy the item and then return to Cakariko desert, you can use it to attract water and fill their well.

they'll give you a status effect reducing item, ---- but this isn't entirely necessary for completing the game, it's just one of those litle quests.

these are my favourite sorts of puzles, those intimiately connected with the world and it's plot.

this is again, probably why I'm a litle uncertain of KoL, because of it's less substansive plot.

Beware the Grue!

Dark.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shadow Dragon" <elementalult...@hotmail.com>