I actually really agree with you on this point.

An interesting combat system which required actual tactics would be great, and the you hit it, it hit's you style does get dull very quickly.

Being an atmosphere freak, I always want propper atmospheric descriptions of what happens in combat to give me the idea of really being in a fight, rather than just rolling numbers.

In traditional D&d the numbers were only there for a guide, and it was up to the gm to describe what actually happened in combat.

The problem is i'm not sure how easy it would be to create that sort of system with enough tactical decisions to make in a smaller game, ----- though it's quite possible entombed is going to manage it nicely from the way that combat system is developing.

Beware the Grue!