Hi Chris,
That's a good idea. As I touched upon in my previous e-mail back in the day when I was into the paper and pen games the gm would let us pick a maneuver or course of action. If the character happened to be a martial artest he or she might be able to choose from a list of attacks like power punch, snap kick, flying kick, spin kick, etc. In that manner each attack could be selected and make the combat seam different.

Christopher Bartlett wrote:
Actually, this is exactly the sort of thing a computer would be good at.
You could have a list of maneuvers to choose from against your opponent, who
would also choose based on the tactical situation, with some randomness to
keep things from degenerating into complete predictability.  Each
maneuver/countermaneuver could impose restrictions on the next set of
choices.  Character attributes/skills could influence the success of the
maneuver.
With a computer to keep track of all the complex stuff, it should be
possible to present the player with a set of choices and descriptive text
describing the effect of the last set of choices.

        Chris Bartlett