Hi Thomas and all,

On 19.07.2009 0:49, Thomas Ward wrote:
Yes, I can easily imagine why you would want to go for an FPS style format. The main one being more realistic. Instead of throwing attack rolls you would actually have to engage in combat in real time. That means you would have to press one key to attack and another to use your weapon to block etc. There is a lot of interesting possabilities right there.

Indeed. Also, how about hearing voices of your party right in 3d position? Seems cool at a first glance. But now i am thinking is it so practical and about server issues because a lot of traffic. Basically i want to use binary protocol to enable users with low band.
I don't have an issue with C++, but I hate Python with a passsion. I like strongly typed languages with plenty of braces, brackets, etc like C++. Python is a massive turn off for me because it doesn't conform to a C standard. Anyway, I know this is your game, and you can use what you want. I just wanted to say if I did decide to work with you this would be a technical point we would likely disagree on.

If you remember, i wrote "python or lua". (smile) Actually, i have some experience integrating lua into game engine. However, lua isn't very c-like in terms of syntax, it uses "end" keyword as in pascal. But lua is very very fast and has small overhead, there is even a JIT for lua, and i don't know a better solution for games. But if you have some c-like interpretable performance language in view, let me know. Last but not least, you know that in developing this sort of game there are a lot of things to do besides write quests in one or another language. (smile) So there will be work for all of us.
Are you planning on selling this game?
I do not think seriously I can make many money on it. (smile) May be there will be premium accounts for those who want custom sound schemas for their characters (custom emotions etc). And payment will go for hosting. Saying that, i simply haven't experience in selling anything.

If you are don't forget FMODEX has to be properly licensed for commercial projects. Of course, if you are planning on a free game then you can use it for free. That's one of the reasons I haven't included FMODEX in any of my games yet. The cost is simply too high to put into a commercial game engine.
It is very difficult to decline a lot of features FMODEx gives to you. How about sound occlusion through obstacles? You fill the scene with your primitives and fmod calculates occlusion for you. Of course i have an understanding how this algorithm works, but rewriting it will take a time...
One API I am seriously looking at for the next generation cross platform version of Genesis 3D is OpenAL. So far it looks like a fairly decent audio API. Although, the Linux port hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Is there a mac support? Anyway to add open al support into my client you need just write a subclass of abstract sound and implement all of methods (play, setPosition etc). and then change one line in the factory function.
Makes sense seeing as you are from that part of the world. Since I am not exactly well versed in Russian history and mythology I can't be of any help there.

Well, I do not insist yet. smile