Hi,
The articles appeared to have no credible information at all; from start to
finish, they kept naming "one youth" who said "this or that." Very rarely
did they mention names, and to me that's suspicious as far as their content
and research is concerned.
Further, they explained their arguments by asking questions. For instance,
they ask "Could not such games cultivate an unhealthy curiosity about
demonic forces?" Does this question really prove anything? My answer to that
is, no. Sure, some may argue that those types of questions get you to think,
but the way I see things, there is no point in asking a rhetorical question
if you will not answer it. I see their "findings" as a bunch of logical
fallacies, saying things like "If x represents y, then can't Y be harmful
for the child?" Maybe if they had more credible information instead of "as
one youth put it," I would be more open to their articles. For now, though,
I have dismissed it as an attempt of so-called "religious fundamentalism"
trying to destroy monotheism again.
The authors commit an obvious fallacy when they mention the Bible's
viewpoint on magic, and then state that games are teaching magic today. In a
game, you are not taught how to wave a wand, concentrate your thoughts, go
in to a state of meditation, curse people, etc. All you do is press buttons.
If the power goes out, well, there goes your little magic trick. Why do the
same people who condemn such games say it is okay to play online poker as
long as you are not playing for money? Forget about magic, and focus on
condemning gambling first--which is a much more realistic issue.
I agree that certain types of games are not suited for children, but that
has nothing to do with the "Christian viewpoint"--anyone, anywhere, can tell
you that much. Instead of saying "that is what a good faithful Christian
believes" the statement would be more correct if it said "that is what
anyone in their right mind believes."
Munawar A. Bijani
"Knowledge is of two types: absorbed and heard. The heard knowledge is only
useful if it is absorbed." - Imam Ali Ibn Abu Talib, Nahj Al-Balagha
mailto:munaw...@gmail.com
http://www.bpcprograms.com