Hi Dark,
Yeah, I know. Although as a developer I am often motivated or inspired by someone else's work, and the desire is to put what inspires me into my own projects. This is happening to me right now with the release of Q9. Since Q9 came out a couple of days ago I realised something about myself I hadn't thought much about before. In 2006 I took over Montezuma's Revenge primarily because I wanted to see that game be completed, and the fact like many others I had already invested money into it while it was on pre-order status. As a result as soon as I took the game over I wanted to make as close to an original clone as possible, but my customers had other ideas. I became very frustrated and down right sstressed out over the fact I was being bombarded with suggestions to add save game features, random enemies, random items, change this or that, to the point I was no longer creating Montezuma's Revenge, but a completely differen game than the one I was suppose to create. Although, fortunately the last betas were close enough. At any rate after my copyright infringement issue I was going to make Mysteries of the Ancients a similar type of side-scroller. However, once again end user suggestions came in, and I basically updated, changed, and modified the game to the point it was no longer what I had intended to create. I've never been completely satisfied with the game for that reason. When Q9 came out I realised what it is about Mysteries of the Ancients I don't like. I guess I want something more classic like Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall, etc and I've never been allowed to do that. End users clearly wanted something more like the current game, and I felt by not adding those changes the game would not be very marketable or I would continue to get nagged over these feature requests. Now, that I've seen the reactions of the gamers regarding Q9 I do think that someday I could create a side-scroller like Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall, Double Dragon, Castlevania, whatever and make it marketable. There aren't really any truly arcade based side-scrollers out there like Pitfall besides Q9, and there is room for more games where that came from.

Smile.

dark wrote:
I deffinately understand that Tom.

My friend during his masters in I/t was actually required to program several games as exercises, including pingpong and the 23 sticks game.

I completely understand when developers have to do this sort of thing as practice, ---- that's whyy i try to be encouraging with feedback of such things.

At the same time though, finding ways to make that type of game interesting isn't hard.

Take Lighttech interactive for example. Their first two games were a guess the number game, and the turn based horse racing game, ---- both of which are symple, but were produced for them to get the idea of how things worked.

Nevertheless, they tried to make the games appealing, as well as being exercises, including interesting sounds, and some random obstacles in the horse racing game, ---- pluss they later went back and modified it to be more interesting.

There is also the possibility of programming games, ----- even symple ones, which we currently don't have access to.

I can think of a number of card games with very symple rules which would probably be no harder to program than black jack or poker, ---- 31s (also called stop the buss), rummy or prediction whist, ---- which would also be good games to play in themselves.

Then of course, there's producing arcade style games which do not boyle down to glorified boppit, but at the same time aren't precisely complex either.

Look at Liam's egg hunt games as an example (though I know he's sinse modified those too).

all this being said, if someone programmed a blackjack game, stated it was an exercise as asked people to test it, ---- that would be fine with me.

My problem is specifically with those developers who try and make money, ---- or palm off games which are essentially the same as what we already have.

I admit, there fortunately aren't many of these.

Then again, ----- maybe it's just that i have a more wide ranging perspective on accessible games in general given my involvement with audiogames.net.

Beware the grue!