hi tom.

I admit there might be some personal bias here. the move to 3d at one stroke killed my access to the vast majority of graphical games, ---- in fact I remember at the age of about 14 getting incredibly upset because I found mario 64 nearly impossible to play. i'd looked forward to it as much as I'd looked forward to the release of donkey Kong country or streetfighter 2 the new challenges, ---- but it was the most horrible confusing mess.

I admit, i see the logic of full 3d physics and movement, ---- but I disagree entirely on game experience. many of those combat situations and experiences are ones I can relate to, ---- but in 2D games.

In Super return of the jedi for example, i used to have huge fun fighting jaba the hut and devising different methods to beat him. Sometimes, i'd use Luke's reflect power to have all jaba's energy shots bounce off him, then stand in front of jaba slashing him up with my light Saber! at other times, i'd use luke's saber throw, and move the saber around the screen hitting jaba multiple times!

sometimes, ---- when i felt like at least vaguely following the film, I'd have laia go in with her staff spin attack then jump behind Jaba and hit him from there!

also the more modern the side scroller, the more interesting the situation. i remember for instance one section of Mega man Zero 2, when the neo arcadians are going to fly a plane carrying a bomb into the resistance base. After you (as zero), have made it onto the plane, the resistance com operator ciel warps in to defause the bomb, this means you have to completely protect her for 90 seconds from a hoard of neo arcadian soldiers, flying battle droids and other nasties!

the only way I found to do this successfuly was do a literally mmedaeval sword and shield weapon combination, using zero's shield boomerang weapon to reflect shots, then occasionally throwing it like a boomerang and switching to the famous Z saber to take out things which got too close.

I totally agree that thus far audio games have either been strictly speaking 1 dimentional left right only side scrollers, or 2 dimentional mazes (what would be termed top down from a mainstream perspective), with more complex navigation, ---- rather in the manner of the original doom on the Snes or wolfenstein 3D.

something completely 360 movement would be interesting to play, but mostly for freedom possibilities, and I personally don't see such a thing automatically trumping side scrollers, ---- or even top down view games, if they are well enough constructed.

Again though, this is just a personal opinion.

beware the grue!