From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 9:19 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] programming

Hi Jim,
As I always tell people, when they ask me what programming language to
learn, every programming language has its own advantages and
disadvantages.  There is no one-size fits all solution. There is
usually some trade off of some kind to be made when picking one
language over another.
For example, If your aim is rapid development, ease of use, then Java,
Python, or Visual Basic will probably be the primary choice. Although,
on the down side those languages do run slower and depend on
third-party runtime libraries to interface with the lower level C++
native libraries of the operating system. As a result the end user may
have to install extra packages such as the Visual Basic runtime, .Net
Framework, Java Runtime Environment, Python Runtime Environment, etc
increasing the size and complexity of your install.
On the other hand you can write your application directly in C++,
cutting out the middlman software completely, but at the cost of a
more complex programming language. On the upside C++ applications run
faster, don't require any runtime environment, and allows the
developer a greater control over system performance and stability.
Finally, the type of application you are trying to create might or
might not influence the language you use. If you are creating a text
editor, for example, it hardly matters if it is written in Visual
Basic, Java, C++, whatever as it will all work about the same. If you
are trying to write a hardware driver, TTS engine, or something that
requires low level programming then by all means use C++. Like I said
earlier there are trade offs to be made, and often the language you
need depends on the type of application as well as your own personal
needs. That is why professional programmers tend to be trained in
several different programming languages to prepare them for using the
right language for the right project so to speak.
As far as your comment, "no one can tell what language the finished
project was written in," I have to disagree with that. If you know
what to look for it is quite easy to figure out the language being
used. For one thing if the system requirements state the program
requires Java Runtime version x then the obvious conclusion is it is
written in Java. Likewise if the requirements state needs .Net
Framework version x then it is likely written in C# .Net or Visual
Basic .Net. If you have to install the Visual Basic 6 runtime then the
obvious conclusion is it is written in Visual Basic 6. there are other
easy indicators like a Java program ends with a *.jar extention that
is a dead give away for anyone wanting to know. So maybe not everyone
will know the language a certain program is written in, do to lack of
experience perhaps, but anyone can certainly figure it out if they
know what to look for. At that point it becomes pretty
self-explanitory.