Having played Sims myself, through the patient interface of my wife, I
can say that it is absolutely nothing like alter ego. Or rather, it is
many times more complicated.

Yes, part of the game is designing and defining esthetic
characteristics surrounding your sims family's life, placement of
furniture, appliances, colors of walls, pictures, etc. all such things
have a baring on how well your sims function.

I think the way you could best characterize the sims is not a pet or
buddy that you interact with but a community of people which you
directly control. It is highly entertaining, because of the random
attributes you don't give them, as well as the attributes you set them
up with at the start of the game. With six different personality
characteristics and only thirty points to divy out, I believe, there
are many combinations of personality profile, from the drably ordinary
to the dangerously insane.

the trouble with the game is this. It is, in fact, a very good game,
worth playing, and highly expandable via a large community of modders
and designers. It is also a game which the v.i. community would be
extraordinarily hardpressed to play, with greater difficulty as sight
level decreased.

As I said, I only played it through the patient assistance of my wife,
and also, a while before that, a good friend. I played using their
games, in their sims neighborhoods. I would not feel it necessary to
buy my own copy, just to ask someone else to play it with me.

The trouble is, having looked at many possibilities, I can not find an
interface that would allow a blind-accessible sims style game to be
developed. The timescale of at least one minute per second in game
means that snap decisions have to be made and executed. We simply
don't have enough keys on the keyboard to make every option available
that would fall under such categories.

Furthermore, objects behave fairly realistically, with fairly
realistic physics. Programming all of the objects, behaviors
associated with those objects, and even just the tendencies of certain
sim types to use those objects is the work of a company of
programmers. Everyone, then, would have to work on this one project in
one programming language and with one specific goal only.

This is a game that I strongly wish we had, but the truth of the
matter is that we don't have enough programmers to pull it off within
anything approaching a reasonable timeframe. We don't have the
technology needed to interface with such a game, at present, and we
tend to summarily dismiss anything we can't play as not worth our
time. I've met several people that just hated the sims, but when I
told them about it, they decided that they'd love to play it, and it
was too bad the interface was so complicated.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard