Hi Kevin,
No doubt about it writing a tool like BGT is a major undertaking for
one or two people. I spent three/four months converting my game
creation toolkit, Genesis 3D, from C# .NET to C++ and in many ways it
still isn't finished.  The only reason I was able to do it that
quickly is because C# is similar to C++ and I only had to make
modifications to the code and not rewrite everything from absolute
scratch. That saved me time as well as I didn't have to do as much
debugging and testing as I might have.
When I wrote the engine from scratch in C# it took me two years to get
it to where it was with Mysteries of the Ancients beta 10. That's a
lot of time and work worth saving if you can cut a corner do it.  Had
BGT been out before I started Genesis I may very well have purchased
it for USA Games just because of its features. $800 is a lot, but not
compared to what I would be earning releasing games every few months.