Hello Tom,
Actually, $800 is a pretty fair price for a tool like BGT Pro. I think
your opinion that it is over priced is do to the fact you haven't had
any experience as a professional software developer. I can tell you
for a fact that similar tools in the programming market would cost far
more in comparison.  Especially, if you begin adding up the cost for
various software products. Here is some things to look at.

FMOD Ex (Shareware License) $100.00
FMOD Ex (Casual License) $3,000.00
FMOD Ex (Commercial License) $6,000.00
Play Station SDK $20,000.00
Visual Studio Standard $299.00
Visual Studio Professional (without MSDN) $569
Visual Studio Professional (with MSDN) $1,299.00
Visual Studio Premium (with MSDN) $2,499.00

Just that alone can run you into thousands of dollars, and we haven't
even began talking about sounds, music, and voice acting yet. Plus the
fact BGT is or will be a fully qualified game engine complete with
scripting,  sound encryption, Sapi support, etc out of the box. If you
use Visual Studio and say FMOD Ex you are going to pay more and still
have to write a bunch of that stuff from scratch anyway. Plus if you
want to support a special game console like Play Station Sony charges
a wopping $20,000 to license their tools and libraries. So $800 isn't
a bad price realistically speaking.
If you are comercially selling your games you will earn back that $800
pretty quickly.  MOTA grosed more than that during preordering, and
I'm sure the final release will even earn more.