Hi dark,
Yeah, I've found laptops to be pretty rugged in design. My first
laptop I purchased in 1998 and I used it clear up until 2004 or so
when it was just too out of date to be practical any more.  My next
laptop was an Averitech 6200 which I recently sold to my dad, and it
still works decently, but he upgraded it and now it works as good as
new. A bit old as far as laptops go, but is still mostly good enough
for day to day use. My current laptop is a Compaq 800 series notebook
which I purchased in 2008 and I figure it will last me for a few more
years yet. It runs Windows 7 just fine, and does everything I want it
to do. The dvd burner died a while back, but I sent it in, got it
serviced, and now it is as good as new.

Smile.