well my main reason for the toshiba obsession if you will is 2 fold
1.  the fact they don't break, unless they are mangled in some way.
ok I admit the first one was dropped.
the 3rd one had dead fans a dead headphone jack, a dead lid a dead modem at one
stage and a dead dvd drive but thats about it.
and it did not happen all at once.
most of the issues came at its end life the other came at the beginning.
This tecra has had its close calls but bar the keyboard  and some stupid things
to do with some recording software for a piece of semi broken hardware which I
will not use anymore anyway its been ok.
Every time it really breaks I  almos go as far as calling someone to reformat
but I usually fix it and then although bits don't work its like well its ok and
I can do without most of this anyway.
I like the fact the bios is accessable from the os though.
even in the 1850 I could access it in dos as long as I had no 386 managers
active.
there was a brief period where in win9x time the manuals were not that
accessible and before where I had no manual at all.
But lately its all pdf which can be converted to text and its all ok.
Support is mostly helpfull to and I havn't had any complaints.
Now I wish toshiba made a desktop.
I'd switch everyone over to that.
Another thing I like about toshiba is its bios update, it will load the update
disk say, then compair it with the bios currently loaded.
In older units say the 1850 you had to boot to dos and run a program.
with the newer units say the 310 and up you pushed a couple keys and it updated
from a disk.
lately you can only get the windows download but that does the same as the old
versions.
Also they do try to emulate the bios setup as closely to what appears in the os.
firstly it was a program in dos then in win95-98 it was all a windows program
now its a control panel.
so I definately will stay with toshiba.
They are also extremely quiet.