hmmm
well I like turn based myself realtime is good as long as you can handle it I have played soundrts with a one column map but any bigger than 4 columns and rows I find it hard to track or keep track. on the other hand if I know I have 12 ships I can have 2 of each say going round the various enemy star systems say covering each of the 3 main oponents, have a couple or maybe 1 at each station and one or 2 at the shipyards or one on the shipyards and one on the borders.
though turn based means I need to think ahead.
right now I pull all my forces together and send defient at any cardations or wait for these to hit stations.
once I have the fleet I have 2 ships hit klingon and 2 hit romulan.
targets.
Ofcause usually the fleet have to handle these targets first, sometimes my stations get it but I like running in deep space rather than relying on my stations as long as I have one left.