Hi Hayden,
Yes, you could say STFC 1.0 was inspired by Trek 2000.  A couple of
different things motivated me to write it.
For one thing when I purchased Trek 2000 although I liked the game I
wanted a game set in the TNG universe with Romulans, Klingons,
Cardassians, and the Borg. I also wanted to correct things I saw as
serious drawbacks such as the game didn't use official Star Trek
cannon for the number of torpedoes the ships could carry or how much
phaser power it had. You also couldn't abort an attack even though an
enemy ship was destroyed etc. Basicly, I grew to dislike Trek 2000
because it didn't live up to my own hard core Star Trek expectations,
and so decided to write my own game according to my own vision of that
game.
As it happens I was learning C# .Net at the time, and needed to write
something for practice. What better way to practice with a new
language then to write a game you would like to create your own way.
So I created STFC Alpha 1 and USA Games came into existance.
Smile.