To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Tomb Hunter Error

Hi Damien,
Ah, that would explain why the game is crashing. I am using the
Windows 7.1 Platform SDK which is far newer than the Windows libraries
that come with Windows XP. In order to get those newer libraries you
simply have to use Windows Update or download the latest Visual C++
Runtime install to upgrade to the current Windows Platform libraries.
As for your hesitation to use the Windows Update service I've heard
that roomer too and I don't think it is true. Personally, I believe it
is nothing more than a roomer. My wife and I do have an older PC in
our living room with Windos XP on it we use for various older
applications, such as some games, that don't operate well on Windows
7. I update that computer fairly frequently using Windows Update and
it is as stable as can be. I've certainly not experienced or found any
evidence to confirm the roomer Microsoft is purposely engineering bugs
for XP updates to force users into buying Windows 7.
In fact, as a software developer, I would say the opposite is true.
One reason I have upgraded to the Windos 7.1 Platform SDK is I have
found the newer Windows libraries more stable as well as more
compatible with the newer Windows opperating systems out there. I
didn't make this choice because I thought Windows 7 was better, or
that I wanted my customers to all rush out and by Windows 7 to play my
games. It simply  was apractical and technical decision to make sure
my engine used the most stable and up to date libraries available for
XP, Vista, and Windows 7 rather than roll back to an older version of
the Windows Platform SDK that might not be as stable or compatible
with newer Windows operating systems.

HTH