Hi Liam,
No, you definitely are not the only person in the universe that feels
that way.  I have no trouble with giving new developers a leg up, but
spoon feeding is not the answer. Giving someone a wizard with the
ability to click here and click that to make a game is just too
restrictive and will result in a lack of originality and will provent
a developer from finding his/her personal style.
I suppose the reason I feel so strongly about this is the fact I
learned the hard way myself. I took classes on VB, C++, Java, etc and
I believe I got a superior education for it. I not only learned the
languages but the mechanics of why and how they work. I have never
wished to go back and start with a wizard or similar type of tool as I
know that would never really teach me what I wanted to know.