I'd personally prefer having the nearest object described. I think the sounds are sufficient to know what else is in the room... if I'm standing near, say, a pickup for a weapon, and hit whatever the examine key, v, as an example. It only needs to describe the weapon or whatever object I'm closest to. Yet if I hear a torch and a rope off to my right, I don't technically need that described... we know it's there, and we know what it is. Or, what the two things are in this case.