Well I started just comming out of the instatutional phase in the 90s.
So it was all a bit of a test, now everything has moved foreward.
Its not perfect in fact in some aspects, like creative ideas etc has all gone by the book but things change its better than it was. There are sort of instatutions but these are more resource bases you get what you need with in reason. Eventually after a sertain age you may have to pay for bits and bobs as you go, but its a pay as you go thing which I guess is fair etc.
Then again I have never really been part of any blind communitys as a whole.
So maybe this has saved me from the poor blind instatutional groops that still exist. In fact for the most part bar a few acceptions I lead a normal life and do normal things. Not to mention the people that were supposed to train me only told me what was needed for a poor blind to learn at the time.
Though it probably was not their fault per say, I learned everything later.