well My history is quite broken.
I was not round the time of infocom, born in that time yes but only knew after I got the net.
By the time I started audyssey it was up to issue 24 or 25.
Hack it yourself is the term I use for those that with the bgt and other scripting languages just put stuff together, sure its not near as pro as conercial companies but its something.
Like diy if you get my meaning.

My history started in 1996.
By then companies like pcs and to some extent gma, and even kitchensinc were on the way to actually going online.
Esp was not far off and what became draconis was not far either.
L-works came in the middle.
It was only after pb-games came and went to blast bay that I actually fully came into the fold.

And Lets not  forget the companies that never were.
Surreal horisons came, and started a promising game idea called  torrent.
They dissapeared though, then came came starbase defender which was abandoned due to other commitments.

Then there was oriol games which ended after one of the devs did not want to release the first comercial title.

Ok, so things have settled down.

We are in the period right now where all the moving and groving is done.
A lot of major companies have changed hands.
Single devs have come online to as themselves.
The main companies are the 3 origionals, being kitchensinc, pcs and gma.

then draconis and l-works
Lastly usagames and  blastbay which are new.
Oh and blindsoftware also fits in with the top 3 in that list.
Then there are the developers making audiogames.net including its forums, bpc and maybe a handfull of freelance students, and hackers who have had or still have projects on the go.

Also remember that from 1985 to at least 1996 it was all dos.
from then till about 2009 it was windows.
Now its multiplatform and iphone to some extent and maybe android with braillesoft's releases.

I'd like a full history myself though since there is probably more history before 1996, I know there was way back to the 80s, and judging with some speech recordings I heard on a demo tape a bit ago 70s and maybe even 60s. But I was born in 82, and Lived netless through the years up to 1996 with no knowledge outside my small world, we did not use compuserve, bbs's or anything like that.