Dark,

    I might have given the wrong impression with my last post.  I didn't mean
to suggest that the developers Should ignore using existing ideas, I just meant
that it is probably what they are doing nonetheless.  As you said, if the
developers adopt that mentality we would have fewer games.  If I've been
reading this topic correctly, that is exactly what others are claiming has
happened.

    I don't believe all of the developers are worried about repeating existing
game styles, but I know I do.  Because this is something I know I personally
do, I find it reasonable to assume that some others would do the same.  I can't
really conclude that all do, or that most do, but I can say for sure that at
least some do.

    When I was on vacation in January, I wrote Daytona, but I also partially
completed a game where you defend a bunker from dragons, a game where you are a
world war 2 era solder who was sent out to investigate a UFO crash (turns out
to be a huge alien robot bent on destruction), work on a game similar in style
to Daytona, and I even started on a side scroller with an Indiana Jones feel.
Daytona was the only one that felt unique enough for me to take it all the way
to being released.  If I had no other game ideas, I would probably have stuck
to one that was closer to some existing game, but it is easy enough for me to
just hop onto a different game idea so why not?  lol!  Rail racer was released
around that time as well, so after playing it I removed any car racing games
off of my list of game ideas to make.  I believe I'll continue to do the same
thing as I encounter more and more audio games coming out.

    If I put myself into another audio game developer's shoes, if I had an idea
that was very similar to Daytona I wouldn't even bother making it.  Yeah, it
would be unique in its own way, but I would worry that everyone would be
comparing it to the existing game.  Maybe you aren't a wizard, and maybe the
mouse movements are meant to run machinery, but in the end I would assume
moving the mouse to form shapes is still just moving the mouse to form shapes.
Hopefully I'm wrong and other developers aren't stuck in the same mindset as I
am, but I don't think I'm wrong.