Hi Charles,

Yes, there are a number of quality tools I could recommend, but as
Yohandy pointed out one of the best is CCcleaner. Fixing and
maintaining your registry is just one of the great things CCleaner
does and it is fairly accessible with most of the screen readers I
have tried it on.

The thing is, and one thing Microsoft does not widely advertise, is
that in order to make Windows run safely and efficiently you have to
constantly maintain it by cleaning out garbage in your registry, dump
your temp directories, and all sorts of things simply because all that
junk will slow down your system, degrade performance, and over time
will cause the system to crash or just run poorly. In my experience in
handling tech support as well as a personal user of Windows many of
the failures and problems are a direct result of registery errors due
to the user's ignorence of how to properly fix and maintain their
system. Many people aren't aware a problem exists until their system
begins crashing, coming up with x number of general protection faults,
etc and call a tech support person for help to reinstall Windows for
them or to try and resolve the problem. Usually installing a tool like
CCleaner will find and locate thousands of registry errors, several MB
of unused files in their temp directories just waisting space, expired
cookies, etc which all results in Windows not operating at full
performance. In other words Windows is basically a slob that never
really cleans up for itself and we, the end user are expected to
handle it, but most end users aren't aware of why and how to properly
maintain the OS so they run it until problems can't be ignored.

I don't want to get into a rant, but i do feel it is my duty to remind
people that Microsoft has a history of overlooking or ignoring
problems with the OS that could be minimized by an alternative method.
Back when they were using the Fat file system they knew that the Fat
file system was a poor design, that it would fragment, break down, and
they had to produce the Disc Defrag tool to maintain the file system
even though there were better file systems in use by their
competition. The Windows registry is another bright idea Microsoft
had, proprietary to Windows, that never worked out. Microsoft knows it
is problematic, a technical support problem, but refuse to replace it
with something else. Other operating systems like Mac and Linux simply
use configuration files that get placed in local and global
directories that can be easily backed up, replaced, maintained, and
are more stable when it comes to saving system configurations.

For instance, one of the things I really like about how Linux saves
settings over the Windows registry is all of the settings on Linux is
stored in a the /etc directory. All of the *.conf files are text files
that can be edited manually with any text editer of choice, are
clearly documented where and what to change, can be backed up to a
thumb drive, and when you perform a fresh install of Linux you can
simply restore your old settings from the backup drive. It is Quick,
simple, and very reliable.

the Windows registry on the other hand is none of those things. I know
my way around only because reading books on the topic. However, for
the average user it is complicated, very hard to edit manually,
requires a tool like CCleaner to repare errors, is unstable, and every
tech and programmer I know of hates the registry with a passion.
Question is, why doesn't Microsoft fix it?

Who knows, but the fact remains its up to us to be aware of those
problems and to purchase the right tools to maintain and support the
Windows OS. Certainly as long as they are selling copies of Windows
and the public is largely aware of the problems or issues I doubt they
will change these design issues/problems with their OS. I personally
think they should have done away with the registry years ago and went
back to *.ini files like Dos had, or use *.conf files like Linux and
most other modern operating systems have.

Cheers!