To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] This is all crazy

Hello,

I've moderated mailing lists in the past and one thing that's in my
personal opinion a good thing to have is a thick skin. As a moderator
in my opinion you have to accept an opinion or position that is
different from yours even though you may whole heartedly disagree with
it and never want to see it onlist.

For example, the topic of Visual Basic, yes it's a no longer supported
language by Microsoft as Thomas pointed out, but in the back of his
mind or the undertones of his message was he thinking I wish no one
would bring up this language ever again? We can't know what he was
thinking and this is purely an example, but the moderator's job is not
to delve out opinions and punish or moderate those who disagree. I
read in a posting earlier this morning that a disagreement went
private, and moderation was threatened against a list member and
carried out. I can't remember who that member was, but frankly you
should have taken that one to the list owner slash other moderators
and asked for a majority ruling on it. I say that because it was
unfair to the user.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that as a former list
moderator I always thought to have two electronic email personas, one
the moderator and under a different address than the user. My reason
for this is quite simple, a user can say things that a moderator
should have to step on and quash. For example, a user insults another
user, which I agree this did not happen initially but as the
discussion went back and forth frustrations raged that was very
apparent. As a moderator that user who insulted the other one should
be stopped in the way appropriate to the list's stated policies. Now
turn that around, say it was the moderator who for reasons unknown
insulted a user. What happens, because it's a moderator what's the
user do? If he fires back he's moderated or punished. This is not
condusive to the role of a moderator.

Like other users before me have stated this has stunned me! I can't
think of a word stronger for it. I hope that this level of discourse
will not continue.

Dave.
PS, to the remaining moderators can you please implement some kind of
outbound content scanner on your email server so it traps and
quarantines swearing messages? In my opinion again, I seem to be
qualifying a lot of my statements, but I felt those were totally out
of line.