Hi Darren,

I do agree that the magazine could be streamlined by cutting out and
removing certain content that isn't up to par so to speak. Announcing
every simple freeware or amateur game might not be in our best
interests if we are hoping mainstream developers and gamers into our
ranks. Games like Guess the Numberor BopIt arent' that news worthy,
and I frankly feel that they probably shouldn't get much public
attention from the magazine.

I do think that we should be more professional about how we handle the
magazine and take our queue from professional gaming magazines. This
isn't being intended to be a put down, but mainstream magazines
generally don't publish news and articles on every single practice or
ametur game like Fred's Guess the Number out there. They tend to
publish articles and news based on established developers who have
reached a certain degree of quality and would be of interest to their
readers. If that sounds elitest so be it, but it doesn't hurt to think
about if the game being discussed would be of any real value to the
community at large rather than just filling space.

Let's be fair here. I know exactly how difficult it is to learn to
program, how much time, skill, and energy goes into programming games.
Every single developer starts with something extremely simple like
Blackjack, Guess the Number, or Paper Scissors Rock because they
require very little programming skill and experience to create. Every
developer starts with such simple games and slowly but surely create
more and more complex practice games until they are able to create the
next Shades of Doom or tank Commander. While there is nothing wrong
with helping a amateur developer with improving his/her Guess the
Number or Paper Scissors Rock game they are still only practice
amateur games. Such amateur developers should probably hold off
releasing anything official until they have released a product that
meets a reasonable standard of quality. Of course, what I would
consider a reasonable standard and what someone might consider a
reasonable standard could be quite different.

Cheers!