You might be on the right track with that idea.  I'll admit, while searching
for the solution to these priority problems, I've been pretty much ignoring any
solutions that would require me to totally overhaul the existing AI.  I think
many of us remember back to when the alternative jobs were first coded in haha!
 The original AI was designed very well for what it was intended for, but
because it wasn't part of the original design, the idea of secondary jobs had
to be patched in in a somewhat sloppy manner.  I've gone through it several
times to clean things up, but it will never run as nicely as it did when it was
following the initial design.  In that same way, if I have to fundamentally
change the AI again, it would require another sloppy patch job that would end
up introducing about a hundred bugs I'd need to fix.  I'm avoid that if at all
possible.