Personally, I always wanted to play a sidescroller similar to Ghouls
and Ghosts. However, before you go handing us choices, consider what
you've been going through this past long while. Now that you have your
engine ready for a small test project, why shackle yourself to other
people's wishes yet again? The artist in you longs to do a project
free from constraints. What you need a short break from is working to
everyone else's ideas. Given such a short development time, I presume
that this project will be offered freely. Given this, I think you
should follow your own creative impulses here and try to create as
much a mini-masterpiece as you can. Add in some manageable randomness
and replay value so that this game serves as a good indicator of what
people might expect when you really pull out all the stops. Hopefully,
it'll stick in everyone's mind and increase sales of MOTA and other
future projects. Once I'm finally done my design document for my own
masterpiece and have gotten the hang of Inform7, I may follow in your
footsteps and try to produce a much smaller game which tests out the
mechanics of the larger work.

I very much look forward to a halloween gaming treet whether it be
sidescroller or 3d.  Most of all though, I hope this short stroll off
the path will give you new drive to complete MOTA. The family ought to
come first though. Enjoy Halloween with everyone. Don't let this be an
all-consuming passion that takes you away from the rest of life. You
need to recharge. Best of luck with this project.

> Hi Dark,
>
> Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. If I were going to do a 2d
> side-scroller obviously I would include full 2d elements like climbing
> up and down staircases, jumping low walls, jumping onto ledges
> above/below you, etc. All of that is pretty par for the course.
>
> What I meant to say is that I could use a more traditional 2d layout
> where the level is a long rectangle rather than a square is in the
> case of MOTA. The levels could start out simple and get more complex
> depending on where you are. For instance, the first couple of levels
> might be out in the courtyard jumping low walls, fighting off
> skeletons, zombies, and werewolves, etc. Then, you get into the castle
> proper. Here you would have wooden staircases, hidden spike traps, and
> other traditional Castlevania elements. The basic point I was making
> is that creating a 2d level is a lot less complex than a 3d one. That
> is especially true for something like Q9 or Super Liam where there is
> no full 2d movement involved. However, it sounds like the majority of
> gamers so far want 3d so I'm now leaning that way.
>
> Cheers!
>

> On 9/28/11, dark <d...@xgam.org> wrote:
>> Hi Tom.
>>
>> Well as I said a side scroller would sute me just as much as something
>> fully
>> 3D, however if the game is to be a side scroller, I'd prefer it to be a
>> true! 2D side scroller like the original game, with your character
>> climbing
>> up and down stairs, maybe even taking on flying enemies or jumping betwene
>> ledges.
>>
>> As we've discussed on list before, Q9 and Superliam, while both fun, don't
>> really qualify as 2D sinse they make litle to no use of an actual second
>> dimention.
>>
>> For a castlevania game, some or all of which would be set in a castle,
>> going
>> up stairs, climbing around and finding items (with of course the big boss
>> fight on the highest tower), would be a crytical part of gameplay, indeed
>> the stairs made a huge difference to Super castlevania, changing where you
>> fought enemies, which route was easier and where items were, indeed some
>> levels just involved very long assents or descents going up or down
>> stairs.
>>
>> I personally would feel quite disappointed if a castlevania game just
>> involved walking along hitting things as fast as possible jumping the
>> occasional pit like Q9.
>>
>> Beware the Grue!
>>
>> dark.

Michael Feir
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011--
Owner of Silver Smiles
Join and share the silver lining in your life.
Group homepage:
http://groups.google.com/group/silver-smiles
2010--
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com