Hi Dark,

Agreed. As you have mentioned Super Castlevania a couple of times on
list today I think we should discuss that as an example of how good a
side-scroller can get.

As I've mentioned before up around level 7 or 8 things get really
really tough. The torture chamber on level 8 has to be the hardest
dang blasted level I've ever played in history. Just getting through
the level is bad enough, but fighting Frankenstein's Monster is no
cakewalk. People here side-scroller and think Super Liam, Montezuma's
Revenge, or Q9, but those don't compare to Super Castlevania. They
can't hold a candle to the difficulty and challenge in that one game.
That's to say nothing of games like Megaman which are equally
challenging and difficult to play. Michael mentioned Gools and Ghosts
which is so challenging very few have actually completed it. I sure
haven't.

So if we are talking about 2d vs 3d in terms of challenge that's
rather a mute point. As you said it all has to do with the game
design, the developer, rather than the specific format. Yeah, full 3d
is more mainstream, but it hasn't in anyway replaced the challenge or
replay value of Castlevania, Megaman, Gools and Ghost, and many other
side-scrollers I could name here.

Cheers!