Hi Scot.

I'm afraid I rather disagree with your split of motivations believing that full 3D fps implies people who want something sompared to a modern game and challenging, while 2D implies retro freaks and those who like the past.

Firstly, in audio thus far other than mota we really haven't seen a true side scroller that actually has characters moving vertically. In a lot of ways it's just as much untapped potential as full 3D, sinse in comparison to many of the highly complex mainstream side scrollers I've played something like Q9 would seem extremely limited.

Like wise, the challenge of a 3D game has to be the game, not it's navigation. People claime to want a 3D environment for "challenge" but certainly in something like terraformers (which is first person rather than 3D), the actual gameplay isn't challenging at all despite the environment it is in.

I'm not saying a 3D game can't provide challenge, certainly many do, but there are also rather too simplistic and easy going games in full 3D released today (indeed some people say games are getting easier).

As I said, I'm happy with either style, however I wouldn't want people either to assume that what we've seen in audio thus far is the be all and end all of side scrollers (we've barely scratched the surface), or that anything 3D must automatically be better simply because it is! 3D.

beware the Grue!