Hi,

Yeah, I agree that the mouse might be the middle ground here between
keyboards and joysticks. Especially, the specific gaming models that
have 5 to 8 buttons on them.

A couple of years ago I made a simple light saber dueling game where
the mouse controlled the light saber and the a, d, w, and x keys moved
you around in the game. I must say it made a huge difference in game
play as you could adopt true sword fighting styles or improvize as
needed. What made it superior to keyboard input alone is things like
being able to perform diagnal slashes, a quick horizontal slash, a
virtical slash, stabs, spin the saber around in a quick circle, etc.
Its not easy to get a keyboard to perform that smoothly.

Then, if we have a gaming mouse with say 8 buttons you can do pretty
much anything from a mouse. You can run, jump, spin in a circle,
crawl, etc as there are enough buttons to allow you free movement and
to modify as needed. That frees your other hand up to use the keyboard
for review commands and so on.