Hi,

Well, I think your issue is that for the XBox 360 controllers etc
games are suppose to use Microsoft's new XInput library. However, many
older games use DirectInput instead. There are no doubt some
compatibility issues with XBox controllers and DirectInput exist
because the API is now 10 years old and hasn't been updated in years.

Cheers!