Hi Aprone.

I fully agree on the matter of braille displays etc, pricing is insane, just add the word accessibility and you can pretty much stick on another zero, heck I've seen a hand held device which does just what your colour recognition program does which would set you back 150 pounds (about 270 dollars I think). So I fully agree with the developement your doing there.

With games though, I'm afraid I'm not sure whether your methodology here sutes the circumstances.

For a start, there are actually very few professional standard programmers making audio games, in fact you could probably count them without taking off your socks. Subtract those like Justin from bsc and Liam urven who's life circumstances aren't conducive to making games, and your left with a very small group of people indeed.

This bunch are rather independent all have their own ideas and styles, all have knolidge of what they want to make, and won't do something simply because there is a community idea out there.

to illustrate, look at stratogy games.

Vip gameszone came up with galaxy ranger, which is sort of an action stratogy hybrid in I believe 2003, yet we didn't see another even vaguely stratogy audio game (not counting battleships), until 2007 with sound rts. Sound rts was amazingly well recieved and enjoyed by many people and you would've expected a huge wave of that style of game, yet (not counting castaways), the only thing to follow was time of conflict from Gma, which I'm pretty sure was in developement when sound rts was released anyway.

This isn't to say there aren't trends in audio games, only that they have far less impact, sinse the more complex the game type and genre, the more difficult producing games with that concept and idea is, and the fewer people will attempt it, ---- if indeed anyone will at all!

Look at entombed. possibly the most successful audio game of all time, and produced in less than two years. Yet have we seen any similar rpgs? ---- heck no!

While I agree we have had many arcade games, I don't think this is entirely the fault of fashion.

As Philip's example games show, left right sterrio targiting is sort of the default baseline in audio games, one reason why there are so many example and practice games like that now, especially from those who are working with bgt for the first time, which is indeed why it's only been now that we've had to introduce the database submission guidelines for audiogames.net to say what counts as a game and what counts as a programming practice.

I think therefore that the reason there are so many arcade games is as much a consequence of programming skill, than deliberate choice, indeed there has been a major desire for more complex audio games right from when i first started playing them myself in 2006.

Thus, I'm afraid your approach of introducing concept demos and then hoping people will pick up the idea and run with it just doesn't seem as logical to me given the circumstances, and given that so many people (including me), really! want more complex and interesting audio games to play, in one sense it actually feels a litle dissatisfying.

Personally, I'd say there are two ways you could change the situation. One of them, is as Jason Alan did with entombed, write a complex game yourself and thus contribute something to posterity with audio games, which might not change the face of what people develope, but is certainly one! example out there of a complex game. The second, is to acknolidge that your writing a concept demo in an example game, and thus create some sort of open source affair (possibly in bgt), to hopefully give some of the programmers who are making arcade games a bit of a leg up into something more complex, and thus show how it could be done.

Suppose for instance you created a cut down version of castaways with three people, a random map and five jobs, hunter, gatherer, tool maker lumberjack, cook.

the hunter needs tools, the gatherer does not but only gathers a small amount of food, and the tool maker needs wood to make the tools.

You could use this setup to show most of the castaways mechanics of ai that seaks resources and brings them back, changing conditions over time, tracking activities etc, and thus put someone in a far better position to create a stratogy game once they've seen the code.

No, it might not be fun to play, but such is not the point of an example game.

In fact, sinse all the bgt example games thus far are either basic puzles or space invaders types, this might actually be a good thing all round.

Beware the grue!