Hi decota.

I'm afraid I don't agree.

yes, sterrio is the main input of an audio game, and yes, sterrio is limited in the amount of information it can convey, however there is no reason we cannot focus this information.

Take packman talks as an example, showing a full four direction maze in audio sounds ludicrous until you just make the thing first person, turn it into an exploration game and hand the player some nav tools.

I've been certain for a long while audio could do more than it has in many games. To an extend this is the fault as i said of developer skill, but if people think a litle more expansively and creatively more could be done.

Look at judgement day. Space invaders, but the first audio game to feature a ful trophy system. Such is my point.

As to graphical games, I'm afraid you are simply incorrect there. Yes, streetfighter tekken and mortal combat are all 2D fighters, but to claime they play in any sense similarly would be like saying hearts, spades, bridge and euchre are all the same because they are card games that involve taking tricks, ---- indeed sf and mk are even more different than that.

Leaving aside all graphical and plot considderations, The speed of character movement, the balance betwene the characters, what special moves are available all play a massive part. Even if we forget the fact (which I'm afraid you might have missed), that streetfighter is a 2D fighitng game where as Mk is 3D meaning your dodging and movement around the arena are entirely different, the shear balance of the game changes extremely.

in mortal combat games these days, each character has several fighting styles to switch betwene, some involving weapons. Each style has a unique set of moves where the buttons on the controller do different attacks, for instance reptile may slash with his tale when button one is pressed in one style, but kick or punch when it's pressed in another. Combos are pre programmed sequences of moves which often flow from style to style. All normal moves are relatively similar in speed, and though some have greater range (especially those with weapons), none have an over baring range. Special moves remain the same however, and each character has comparatively few, most of which deal with attacking at a certain distance or range or propelling the character forward, such as a fireball or charge attack. These however are pretty independent from the fighting styles.

In streetfighter however each charater fights with only one style, and has a set of six buttons, light, medium and heavy kicks and punches. The "strength" of the move determines both it's speed and damge, thus a light punch is fast and weak where as a heavy punch is slow but powerful.

These properties also apply both to normal moves used in different positions of the character, eg, jumping kicks and punches or sweeps, and to special moves, sinse each special has a light, medium and heavy form which is faster or slower or goes further across the screen.

Characters are far more areal, meaning that jumping attacks are far more part of the game than in mk, and with the different timings of moves combos involve more than long sequences of presses sinse the opponent also needs to be in the right position.

Thus, the two games are entirely different, and this has just scratched the surface.

The differences however are all brought about by the judgement of the player, his/her sense of timing, familiarity with the attacks and the situations of the game, not merely reactivity, which is why I am so much in favour of having audio games that actually have mechanics to learn, not just boppit type here it and react gameplay.

That way, tow games even of the same genre could be different, ---- eg, imagine another tank game where the tank took far longer to get to it's top speed, and where you controlled the turrit independently of the tank's movement, that would be entirely different from Gma tank commander even while being the same type of game.

Beware the grue!