I can say this. The trouble with targeting style games is that that's
our interface. What I mean is this. Sighted folk use their eyes to get
a feel for what's happening around them. Blind people with decent
hearing use their ears. That is intuitive, and I only point it out
because it's important.

Yes, our games feature stereo targeting as a way to get to enemies,
jump on ledges, etc. However, that's because the ears are our
targeters.

If I can be frank, one of the reasons that space invaders clones don't
excite me is that they're clones. What I mean by that is the content
of a game. Story line, plot, even different objectives are what set
games apart. How many different games are there out there in the
mainstream community where one person shoots at another. The
difference, usually, in all of these, is plot, sounds, graphics, etc.
Well, aren't we lucky, because we don't have to worry about graphics.

What's the difference between Mortal Kombat, Tekken, and Street
Fighter? Ok, yes, there're some few control changes, a few different
combos, but largely they're all three fighting games, usually even
with fairly congruent characters: the fast one, the strong one, the
mystical one, the cute girl, the ... uh ... well, the girl who is a
defined attempt at fan service.

My point with that example is that these three franchises are
rediculously successful. It's not because of different control
methods. It's not even because of fan or brand loyalty. It's because
of a little bit of difference in sound, graphics, and story line.

The simple truth is that, back when gaming on electronic devices was
new, you didn't need plot or story of really any kind. But now, having
seen some of the classes that simulation and gaming majors have to
take, gaming is just as much about story telling as physics and
programming. That's something that I'm glad to see more developers
starting to play with.

Now, I'm not targeting swamp, or really any of the Aprone games on any
lack of story. Far from it. Even if the story doesn't last for chapter
upon chapter, the games still rock based on points of interest, the
content element. In Castaways, you unlock jobs and goals. In Swamp,
you get weapons. All I'm saying is that the reason, I think, that
space invaders clones are unsuccessful is that the story's been told.
There's either no story at all, or the story sucks. Turn space
invaders into an anti-aircraft game during World War II or Vietnam War
and you have a game that people would at least gasp about for a few
hours, rather than groan about and forget after a few seconds.

My trouble is that I know how hard it is to develop a game. I do a bit
of that, unfortunately not on the computer, as my abortive attempts at
programming are thwarted by my abortive attempts at learning how to
program. But I know it's a hard balance to maintain. Tremendous
congratulations for all developers out there, but keep in mind your
story, and you'll get a far bigger heap of congratulations from a far
greater audience.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard