To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] More BGT news

Hi thomas. Many games are just scripts you run, so there is no
installer or uninstaller.
While I'm not sure if there is a limmit on how many keys a game may
create, not having one is dangerous. Just imagine a program going into
an infinite loop while writing values to the registry on each
iteration. This can happen by writing while instead of if.

It would be totally reliant on the developer to provide an installer
that knows how to remove every key their bgt script created, where as
a settings file harms noone even if  it is a few MB. The registry is
something that needs to be used with lots of care, even though it is
easy to do.

Hi Willem,

Which are all valid points. However, as Philip mentioned he has put
restrictions in BGT to keep novis BGT developers from dumping 1000000
2048 KB of values into the registry So it sounds like Philip is aware
of the issues and is taking steps to minimize any risk of someone over
using and abusing the registry as you described.

As far as removing keys I haven't looked but it stands to reason if
BGT can create registry keys and set registry values that there should
be wrapper functions for deleting them as well. In C++ the functions
to do this is RegDeleteKeyEx and RegDeleteValueEx. If BGT has wrapper
functions for those registry functions someone can add an option to
delete keys prior to the uninstallation of the game.

Cheers!