HI Dark,

Right. Unfortunately, a lot of VI gamers look at Super Liam, Q9, and
assume its 2d when its only 1d, and doesn't have nearly the features a
normal mainstream side-scroller would have. You and I both have that
experience, and its just as irritating to me to have people put
side-scrollers down because I've played some pretty darn good ones
over the years.

For example, even the original Donkey Kong is far more complex than
the average accessible-side-scroller, and Donkey Kong was a very
simple game. Basically Mario started out at the bottom of a series of
ramps leading up to the top of the building, and wooden barrels came
rolling down at you as Donkey Kong threw them down at you. Simple it
might have been, but the game play was extremely difficult. You had
wooden barrels and burning barrels to jump over, moving escalators,
and the longer you played the faster the barrels rolled down at you
and escalators moved. I never reached the end of the game because it
was just too hard requiring fast reflexes and good timing.

If people haven't had that experience playing Montezuma's Revenge and
Donkey Kong on the Atari let alone something more advanced like Super
Castlevania or Megaman its no wonder they think side-scrollers suck.
All they've had is Super Liam and Q9 to compare the concept to. Some
day I'd like to create something like Super Star Wars just to show off
a true side-scroller, but that's for another day.

Cheers!