I'm afraid clemment, even if we considder q9 and sperliam in the same vane as final fight or streets of rage, the games are stil ridiculously simplistic sinse once again they miss a vertical dimention.

This is slightly hard to explain to someone who has not actually seen the graphics of such a game but I'll have a go.

if you imagine the three letter rows of your keyboard as the playing area going left to right, with an action man facing to the right positioned on the letter A.

You may now move up to the q, down to the z, or streight forward, all while facing to the right and attacking right, or alternatively, may turn around. Thus to avoidattacks by your enemies it's often necessary to circle around them above or below, or indeed some enemies had moves that could affect the top or bottom of where you are, for instance R bare the boss from streets of rage two could duck down at one vertical point and jump up to do a cannon ball move that would cut across several rows and hit you, meaning to defeat him you have to anticipate where he would land vertically as well as horrizontally.

The playing area was also far more than three rows wide, more like 25 or more.

Then, jumping and jumping attacks had to be factored into the mix, sinse where you hit with a jumping attack on an opponent could affect what happened afterwards, as well as where you were vertically on the screen and what other enemies were arround.

for example with haggar on final fight his dropkick had a huge horizontal range but was bad at taking out enemies close by, while his splash could take out enemies close, thus a good combo was to jump into the air, let fly a drop kick, then splash quickly afterwards to take out any punks below you that the kick missed.

And lets not forget the huge fun of grabbing one punk for haggar's pile driver, jumping and slamming him into a bunch of others to send them flying like skittles! :D.

then, considder that even in a very basic game like final fight which was the first major release of this type, each character had far more than just one or two attacking moves which had different range aand priority just like in a beatemup.

for example in double dragon (even earlier and simpler than final fight), a punch could hit a single enemy in front of you and put them into a dazed state where you could go for a hold and throw, where as a kick had a litle more range, but could take out more than one enemy at once.

thus, even considdered on the basis of games like final fight, Q9 and superliam are extremely! simplistic in their gameplay.

Personally, given the jumping platforms, the use of a single main attack as well as projectiles, and the fact that enemies also have only one attack I considdered the game far more a proto platformer than anything else, though even thought of as a walk along beat em up I'm afraid it's stil! lacking very much of the second dimention, ---- possibly even more than were we to compare it to a platformer where at least you cannot walk up and down.

Btw, sorry if this explanation made sense, it's a litle hard to explain if you haven't knolidge of the point of view in such games.

Beware the grue!