I'm curious about one thing though, and that is... do side scrollers have to be as complex as donkey kong to be considered good ones? Sure Super Liam and q9 are simple, but many side scrollers also played like that... final fight, Streets of Rage, dynasty world... all those old classics are simple side scrollers. As I see it, there are different types of side scrollers, and how good one is generally falls into what category it's in. Q9 and super liam are more in the vein of beat em ups and run n gun type games whereas Donkey Kong, Montazuma's Revenge, etc all fit into a more platformer type of category. I don't know... this is just my opinion. Growing up I played a lot of side scrollers too, usually with help. Seems to me that not even all mainstream side scrollers are what you've described as 2d. It's an interesting discussion though, I always just assumed side scrollers were 2d because that was what I imagined it as... 2d to me was always something that was flat and horrizontal.